Thursday, November 8, 2012

ON3O 2-6-0 Wheel bolt removal tool

Humm.. maybe you have been wondering how I get those little bolts loose that hold the rods to the wheels?

I went to the hardware store and bought a 2.5mm allen setscrew and super glued it into a piece of brass tubing...I cut my brass tubing to about 2-1/2"

Do a light grind on the end of the setscrew. (I do mean grind, as setscrews are hardened) . This is to remove most of the chamfer at the end of the setscrew, so you get a firm bite on the end of the wheel bolt...


That's the deal ......Vance

Why doesn't Bachmann include or sell this tool?

I remember years ago, that Mantua always included tiny wheel bolt wrenches with all their kits.

1 comment:

  1. I am in a pickle. I have a mantua prarie 2-6-2. I was replacing the traction ring and the head of one screw stripped and on the other side, the screw snapped in half. Any way to get the rest of the screw out? Any recommendation on the stripped head? I have tried just about everything.

    ReplyDelete